Community Health & Wellness Building
7 Rio San Jose Rd.
Laguna, NM 87026
(Across from the Old Laguna Post Office)
Main Contact Information:
Hours of Operation:
Monday thru Friday office hours- 7:00 am to 5:00 pm
On call available for non-emergency care-call Laguna Police Department to contact on call staff
Susan Lorenzo, CHR Cancer Specialist
Elita Ruben, Data Entry Specialist/Reception Clerk
Valene Lucero, CHR/MCH Specialist
To offer and provide quality health promotion/disease prevention information, referrals, and services aimed at educating and supporting members, improving individual and family health and enhancing the health and wellness of the tribal community overall.The overall scope of work is to provide health and health related service in the areas of Health Education, case finding/screening, case management, monitoring patients, patient care, homemaker services, interpreting/translating, other patient services, transportation coordination, patient navigation and community development. These services are provided to address identified chronic health issues, and health needs within the community. Collaboration and coordination with other departmental programs and community based programs to promote good health and wellness is primary. Partners with I.H.S. on specific health outreach and case find efforts for optimal patient care management. Interfaces and advocates for clients with direct care needs with a myriad of health and public health providers.
Programs & Services:
- Community CPR Certification held weekly, every Wednesday in the CHWD Conference room.
- Community health awareness and education classes, screenings provided. Call to schedule care for you, your families or at your worksite.
- Home-visits, Patient care, Transportation Arrangements, Health Education/Awareness/Prevention, Monitoring vital signs, Personal care, Advocacy and Interpretation/Translation.
- Other community based and employee based health promotion and disease prevention programs provided.
- Implements the Tribal Home Based Kidney Care Project to prevent or slow the progression of Kidney Disease among community members with Type II Diabetes. The program works in partnership with the AASTEC Epidemiology Center, UNM and the POL CHR Program. Interested participants receive free preliminary screenings of blood, urine and blood pressure. Along with the preliminary screenings, health education on risk factors for Diabetic Kidney Disease is provided. The progam is free and voluntary. For information contact Audrey Creager, CHW or Stephanie Tharpe, CCHR at 552-6652.
Coordinates the local community-based Zumba & MIXXED FIT initiatives. Classes are free to tribal members, community members and POL employees. For information contact the Instructors- Laguna CHR at 552-6652.
Free confidential Health Screenings for Blood pressure, Blood sugar, Cholesterol, BMI, and confidential pregnancy screening tests are provided. Call or come by the office for your screening and health education.
Tools / Forms / Documents:
Forms for release of information provided. An intake and assessment process is initiated for all service requests. Transportation coordination provided for validated medical/health appointments. Standard Operating Procedures are in place to guide and direct all service delivery under the 638 funded program.